Now it looks like Koh Phangan Airport is not going to open in the foreseeable future people wanting to leave Baan Tai and get to Bangkok as quickly as possible should focus on using Koh Samui Airport. The main carrier at the private airport is Bangkok Airways. They have dozens of flights every day plying the route between Koh Samui and Bangkok’s Suvarnabhumi Airport. This post will show you how you can book your journey between Baan Tai and Koh Samui Airport online.
Baan Tai to Thongsala
To start your journey you have to arrange a taxi that will take you from Baan Tai to the main port town of Thongsala. It is only a short hop to the port. Your guest house should be able to arrange a place in a shared taxi for you. The cost is 100 Thai Baht per person and the journey takes no more than 10 minutes. Koh Phangan taxis are a closed shop. You won’t be able to get an Uber or Grab taxi.
Thongsala to Koh Samui Airport
Use the search box above to book online tickets for the joint ferry and minivan ticket from Thongsala to Koh Samui Airport.
Here is the schedule:
- 08.00 Thongsala – 8.30 Koh Samui Airport
- 12.30 Thongsala – 13.00 Koh Samui Airport
- 16.30 Thongsala – 17.00 Koh Samui Airport
Price: 300 Thai Baht per person
The joint ticket gives you a ferry ride on a Seatran Ferry. This will normally travel to Bangrak Pier in the north of Koh Samui. It is a medium-sized boat with plenty of seating and a small shop where you can purchase snacks and drinks. The ferry journey takes about an hour.
Once you disembark from the ferry you are taken to a waiting minibus that transfers you to Koh Samui Airport. The last part of the journey takes about 10 minutes.
Advantages of Joint Ticket
There are 3 main advantages of the joint ticket from Thongsala to Koh Samui Airport:
- You can book in advance so you don’t have to worry about the ferry being full.
- You don’t have to haggle with Koh Samui taxi drivers at the pier. They are famously keen to say ‘no’ when you suggest a more reasonable price.
- You have peace of mind that you will arrive at the airport at a certain time. This means you needn’t worry about missing your flight to Bangkok.